ALL member Charles Johnson will be speaking twice this weekend in Austin on the new book he contributed to and co-edited, “Markets Not Capitalism: Individualist Anarchism Against Bosses, Inequality, Corporate Power, and Structural Poverty.”
The sweep of the book is that the significant and troubling social, political, and ecological problems that take place within our prevailing economic system is not the inevitable result of market exchanges, but the system’s distortions of the process of consensual economic exchanges by political privileges that benefit owners of capital. The books also explorers how social activism bolstered in a freed markets liberated from political control can be used to achieve a just distribution of social and economic power.
The first presentation will be at Brave New Books on Saturday, Feb. 4, at 6 p.m.
The second presentation will take place on Sunday at MonkeyWrench Books at 6 p.m.
In his announcement, Johnson added,
I’ll be giving a brief talk at both events, and then a reading from the collected essays on the nature of capitalism, role of the State in creating and propping it up, the place of mutual exchange and individual ownership in a radical, bottom-up alternative, the radical possibilities of freed-market social activism, and the individualist and mutualist tendencies within the anticapitalist tradition. Q&A, discussion and book-signing will ensue.
Many, many thanks are due to Crystal of the Austin / Central Texas A.L.L., for suggesting and organizing both of these events. And many thanks also to the spaces that have generously agreed to host us.
- Arlington City Council’s Covert Free Speech Restrictions Nov. 2, 2014
- Recap: Will Schnack Book Release (VIDEO) Oct. 12, 2014
- Whatever Gov. Perry Plans We Can Plan Better Sep. 25, 2014
- Event: 2014 SFL Dallas Regional Conference Sep. 24, 2014
- Rockwall Voters Asked to Fund Real Estate Speculators (VIDEO) Sep. 22, 2014
- Dalworthington Gardens Withholding Checkpoint Policies and Records Sep. 18, 2014