I attended an orientation of the Riverside Community Time Bank and was introduced to a few of the members. In the video below, Analiese Hill introduces the concept of a time-based currency.
Josiah Warren, a 20th century individualist anarchist, is credited with creating one of the first time-based currencies in America. These local exchanges allow for people of all backgrounds and interests to participate. In addition to the economic advantages of these grassroots mutual aid networks, they can also enrich the relationships of people in the community.
It’s a growing organization still in need of supporters to help spread awareness of mutual credit. A planning meeting will take place Saturday, Jan. 19. Further logistical details will be available on the group’s Facebook page.
- What I Saw at the Open Carry Tarrant County Demonstration Jun. 1, 2014
- Ramsey Kanaan: Anarchism Is More than an Idea May. 27, 2014
- Open Carry Groups Changing Tactics May. 27, 2014
- Imagining a Market Without Capitalism May. 10, 2014
- Update: Dallas Judge Sentences Rapist to 45 Days Because Victim Wasn’t a Virgin May. 6, 2014
- Recap: 2014 Global Marijuana March in Fort Worth (VIDEO) May. 4, 2014